How exquisite your love, O God! How eager we are to run under your wings! (Ps 36:7 msg)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Goliath

I am 14 days into 2012.  What an exciting and fulfilling time this is in my life.  New ambitions in front of me and the accomplishments of 2011 behind me.  I have so much to be grateful for, so much to praise Him for.  My children are healthy and loving, learning to practice kindness and generosity.  My husband is selfless and devoted.  My body is strong and my will is determined.  I am going to love this year.

Today, I ran 4 miles.  That is not something spectacular in and of itself.  I have run 4 miles many times.  But today, I ran 4 miles strong.  I love running...  but not too far and not too fast.  In the last two weeks, I have pushed myself out of my comfort zone and into strength training.  I am "in training".  (I've always wanted to say that.)  In training for the Tough Mudder at the end of March.  In training for a half marathon in April.  I haven't done either and I am loving the challenge already.  I was eager to run today despite my oppressing sore muscles of previous strength training workouts. 

Something happens on my runs that only another runner can understand.  I work things out.  I have conversations with family members in my head.  I am inspired to try new things.  I solve problems.  And most importantly, I hear God.  There is something so empowering, so awe-inspiring, to run solo alongside God's nature.  All is quiet and still.  At least, on my running path.  All is NEVER quiet and still in my head.

God has been growing me lately.  For what, I'm not quite sure.  I am getting to know Him more and craving our time together each day.  He is revealing Himself and his desires to me daily.  I am becoming the wife, mother, friend, ect... that He wants me to be.  I am excited for this chapter in my life.  I am excited to see what God has in store for me this year.

There is a hill on my run today I've always called Goliath.  It is right at the end of the 4 miles and it is extremely steep.  I have NEVER walked up this hill.  That is my motivation to never walk it in the future.  Not even 5 years ago when I could barely run 2 miles.  Most are familiar with the story of David defeating Goliath.  He was clearly the underdog and could only have done it through God's strength and power.  But, throughout his life, David had more Goliaths to overcome.  From family drama to woman troubles, He had to continuously hurdle obstacles.  But, he rejoiced in his struggles because he knew God would be there for him.  He would give him HIS power to overcome the Goliath in his path.

"How exquisite your love, O God!  How eager we are to run under Your wings!"  I love those words.  To be wrapped up in how God loves us so.  To be under His protection.  It is empowering, comforting, and heavenly peaceful.  Today, my Goliath was a big hill.  Yesterday, it was patience despite the constant sound of squabbling children.  Who knows what my Goliath will be tomorrow.  But, I'm not worried.  I will hit the ground running... under the protection of His wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment