How exquisite your love, O God! How eager we are to run under your wings! (Ps 36:7 msg)

Monday, February 27, 2012

make the mind run the body

"Now if you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing.  You have to make the mind run the body.  Never let the body tell the mind what to do.  The body will always get tired.  It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night.  But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." Gen. George S. Patton

I love this quote.  It is on my half-marathon training schedule and is so true.  My mind is strong and that makes my body strong.

I have been struggling with confidence.  Brock had to work out of town all last week, so I just couldn't maintain my workout schedule.  I was overexerting myself and feeling run down.  I truly could not pull these ambitious goals off if he wasn't here with me.  He is such a relief on my schedule and with the kids.... my support and rock.

With only 4 workouts last week, including a 6 mile run besides the 10 mile long one, I entered my long run today.  It was a brand new area of town and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was just SO HARD.  I felt like the hills were HUGE and forever.  I was running against the wind for the first half.. and it was HOT today, so I don't think I was adequately hydrated.  That being said, I ran 10.75 of my intended 11 miles.  I had to stop due to my seeing stars.

The last 2 miles were horrible and I stopped several times.. which I NEVER do.  I turned off my music and said three phrases over and over.


I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength
The joy of the Lord is my strength.
Pain is weakness leaving the body!!

It got me a little further, just not the last quarter mile!!  I feel like I have been in a funk for over a week now, tired and discouraged.  I promise to be out of this soon.  How exhausting and whiny I must sound!!

I am giving it 1 1/2 weeks till my 12 mile run.  I will be bringing water and I will be eating more beforehand.  My body does not tell me I can't run 12 miles in in the future... my mind says I can!

Technology amazes me! Here is data from my run.. Despite my exhaustion, I still maintained a 10 minute mile average.. Yay, me!!

RUN 2/27/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment